maandag 16 juni 2014

Neil Gaiman: Neverwhere

Hi

This is my review for Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.
My copy has 379 pages and I got it at the Fnac in Antwerp.

"Under the streets of London... It's a place most people could never even dream of. A city of monsters and saints, murderers and angels, knights in armour and pale girls in black velvet. This is the city of the people who have fallen between the cracks. Richard Mayhew, a young businessman, is going to find out more than enough about this other London. A single act of kindness catapults him out of his workday existence and into a world that is at once eerily familiar and utterly bizarre. And a strange destiny awaits him down here, beneath his native city: neverwhere. Richard is a normal man, thrown into the world of London Below. He can be stupid and has no backbone whatsoever. I really got irritated by him at some point, but I kept on reading because the book had a way of sucking me back in."

What I liked most about this book is the world-building; reading about London Below, the people and the dangers there.
I would have liked more depth to the characters and the plot. The premise is amazing and the characters are very interesting, but it's still a bit too superficial in my opinion.

The novel is weird, fast, funny, charming, imaginative, absurd, unique, bizarre and very, very entertaining.
Gaiman's makes you visualize everything he describes. You can't help but seeing it in front of you.

Happy reading!
Helena

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten