donderdag 26 maart 2015

Ira Levin: The Boys from Brazil

Hi

This review is about The Boys from Brazil, a novel by Ira Levin.
I read Rosemary’s Baby years and years ago; when I saw this one in a second-hand store I had to have it.
It has 258 pages.

“Alive and hiding in South America, the fiendish Nazi Dr. Josef Mengele gathers a group of former colleagues for a horrifying project—the creation of the Fourth Reich. Barry Kohler, a young investigative journalist, gets wind of the project and informs famed Nazi hunter Ezra Lieberman, but before he can relay the evidence, Kohler is killed.”

Oh my word. I did not see this coming. When everything finally clicked (somewhere around page 170) I had to put the novel aside for a moment to digest the plot. I mean, it’s a huge revelation.
It is a real page turner. It’s smart, it has an optimistic note underlying the whole novel, it’s something out of the ordinary.
The prose and the characters aren’t that good. But the story is.
And it’s still a chilling plot because it’s not so far-fetched anymore as it was back when it was written.

A relaxing read that is quite different and makes you think for a moment.

Happy reading!
Helena

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten