maandag 18 mei 2015

Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice

Hi

I’m halfway through reading Austen’s work for the second time.
Pride and Prejudice has 396 lovely pages.
You can find all my Jane Austen reviews here.

“Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen's witty comedy of manners--one of the most popular novels of all time--that features splendidly civilized sparring between the proud Mr. Darcy and the prejudiced Elizabeth Bennet as they play out their spirited courtship in a series of eighteenth-century drawing-room intrigues.”

Mr. and Mrs. Bennett lack serious judgment and they didn’t raise their daughters vey sensibly.
Women back then depended completely on the men in their lives (father or husband) to support them. So finding a husband with the means to do so was the most important goal in a woman’s life. Seen in that light, Mrs. Bennett’s reactions are (although irritating and annoying) understandable. Mr. Bennett clearly does not understand the importance of this. I love his remarks but he needs to be serious in his duty to find loving, providing husbands for them. Mr. and Mrs. Bennett should have done something about the two airheaded sisters Kitty and Lydia. Overindulging doesn't make them sensible, kind or smart.

I LOVED this novel.
It's so easy to read it’s almost unbelievable it is 200 years old. I flew through this
. It’s ironic, wise and just beautifully written. It made me smile, it made me feel warm and I enjoyed every minute.

Happy reading!
Helena

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten