vrijdag 15 januari 2016

John Wyndham: The Day of the Triffids

Hi

This is my review of John Wyndham’s The Day of the Triffids.
The book is only 233 pages long and it has a 11 page introduction by Barry Langford.
I got my copy from The Book Depository.

“When Bill Masen wakes up blindfolded in hospital, there is a bitter irony in his situation. Carefully removing his bandages, he realises that he is the only person who can see: everyone else, doctors and patients alike, have been blinded by a meteor shower. Now, with civilization in chaos, the triffids – huge, venomous, large-rooted plants able to 'walk', feeding on human flesh – can have their day.”

It reminds me of José Saramago’s Blindness (which I loved) but The Day of the Triffids was actually the first book.

I absolutely loved this story.
It’s so interesting, so different and really haunting.

The characters are very stereotypical English men and woman. This added humor and sensibility to the story. It might make it hard to connect to the characters for some readers, but I liked this actually because the characters are stereotypes but they’re not caricatures.

Wyndham’s writing is suspenseful and vivid and it made me feel like I was actually there with Bill, going through everything with him. I really felt connected with them.
It’s easy to read and I flew through this.

I have one problem with the book and that’s the case of insta-love. That’s something that always annoys me.

5 STARS

Happy reading.
Helena

Homemade fudge, a cup of tea and an amazing novel. I'm having a great evening.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten