maandag 11 april 2016

Ernest Hemingway: The Old Man and the Sea

Hi

This review is about my second time reading The Old Man and the Sea. You can find my review of my first time reading it here.
My copy has 99 pages and I got it from Bol.
You can find all my reviews on Hemingway’s novels here.

 “Set in the Gulf Stream off the coast of Havana, Hemingway's magnificent fable is the story of an old man, a young boy and a giant fish. In a perfectly crafted story, which won for Hemingway the Nobel Prize for Literature, is a unique and timeless vision of the beauty and grief of man's challenge to the elements in which he lives.”

The Old Man and the Sea is a very demure, restrained, sober and almost solemn book.
The prose is straight-forward and sparse; it’s very easy to read. But Hemingway accomplishes so much with very few words.

The story itself seems to be very simple, even plain if you read it solely for the story.
But you shouldn’t. There’s a lot behind the story and it’s rather obvious too.

The book is about defeat and failure, about never giving up. It's about the courage to go on, the determination to see what is possible and fighting for what you need, what you need and what you feel is right.
It’s about pride and honor.
I never felt sorry for Santiago and I don’t think you’re meant to pity him. He respects his opponent and so should we. But I did feel so very, very sad for him.

4 STARS

Happy reading.
Helena

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten