donderdag 5 mei 2016

Amos Oz: Between Friends

Hi again

This is my short review of a collection of stories by Amos Oz.
My copy has 198 pages and I got it at the Boekenfestijn.

Between Friends is a collection of interrelated short stories.

The novel reads very fast and the stories seem to be simple and boring but they actually aren’t. I loved this collection.

Every story is about someone else, but they are all set at the same place; a kibbutz . This was my first novel set in a place like that and I found it very interesting. It seems a perfect place; everyone working together towards the same goal. But it isn’t. For some, the kibbutz is a prison while to others it’s a road to something else, something bigger.

The sense of loneliness in an environment where everyone is supposed to be friends is wonderfully done. Some of the characters sacrifice so much and it actually hurt to read about them.
Even though each character has only a few pages, it’s amazing how much I felt for all of them.

Happy reading!
Helena

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten