donderdag 29 september 2016

Margaret Atwood: Stone Matress

Hi again

Stone Matress is a collection of nine short stories written by Margaret Atwood.
I got my copy in Valencia while we were on holiday and it has 311 pages.
You can find all my Margaret Atwood reviews here.

“A collection of highly imaginative short pieces that speak to our times with deadly accuracy.
A recently widowed fantasy writer is guided through a stormy winter evening by the voice of her late husband. An elderly lady with Charles Bonnet syndrome comes to terms with the little people she keeps seeing, while a newly formed populist group gathers to burn down her retirement residence. A woman born with a genetic abnormality is mistaken for a vampire, and a crime committed long ago is revenged in the Arctic via a 1.9 billion-year-old stromatolite.”

I really enjoyed most of these stories.

Atwood writes very captivating and she uses such rich language; it’s a joy to read. I flew through this book.
The stories are unique, very different, dark and interesting. The writing is sharp, to-the-point and imaginative.
I liked how three of the stories were connected. After the first few stories I had hoped that all of them would be connected but they weren’t. It would have been amazing though.
And I loved Atwood’s characters. They seem so real! They are vividly written, flawed, and I enjoyed them enormously.

4 STARS

Happy reading!
Helena

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten