zaterdag 15 oktober 2016

George Eliot: The Lifted Veil

Hi everyone

This review is about my Little Black Classics book called The Lifted Veil. It contains ‘The Lifted Veil’ (a novella) and ‘Silly Novels by Lady Novelists’ (a small essay) both by George Eliot.
My copy has 110 pages and I got it from Bol.

“Latimer, a sensitive and intellectual man, finds he has clairvoyant powers: he has a vision of a woman, "pale, fatal-eyed", who he later meets: she is Bertha Grant, his brother's fiancee. Entranced and bewildered, Latimer is unwilling to take heed of the warning visions which beset him.”

I wasn’t blown away by the story but I did enjoy reading it.
The writingstyle is elegant and easy to read.
I liked the supernatural elements and the gothic feeling throughout the novel and the buildup to the finale is great and it did surprise me.

But I would have preferred to read more about the relationship with Bertha instead of his schooldays.
And the narrator tends to complain a lot; something I don’t enjoy reading about.

2 STARS

Happy reading!
Helena

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten