zondag 30 oktober 2016

John Steinbeck: Cannery Row

Hi again

This is my review for John Steinbeck’s Cannery Row.
I got my copy from Book Depository and it has 148 pages plus a 17-page Introduction.
You can find all my John Steinbeck reviews here.

“In the din and stink that is Cannery Row a colourful bend of misfits - gamblers, whores, drunks, bums, and artists - survive side by side in a jumble of adventure and mischief. Lee Chong, the astute owner of the fantastically well-stocked grocery store, is also the proprietor of the Palace Flophouse that Mack and his troupe of good-natured 'boys' call home. Dora, of the flaming orange hair and taste for Nile green dresses, runs the brothel with clockwork efficiency. Doc, who owns the laboratory, is the fount of all generosity and wisdom. Everybody wants to do something nice for Doc: the trouble is, he always ends up paying.”

Cannery Row surprised me.
The book is lighthearted and funny most of the time, something I didn’t expect after reading The Grapes of Wrath. This one had me chuckling and smiling along the way.

Steinbeck is a wonderful writer, his descriptions are beautiful, the language is elegant and he manages a great balance in tone; lively moments make the deep and thoughtful parts hit even harder.

I really enjoyed this book.

4 STARS

Happy reading!
Helena

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten