maandag 14 november 2016

William Shakespeare: Antony and Cleopatra

Hi

This is a little something on Antony and Cleopatra by William Shakespeare.
My copy has 134 pages play and 15 pages introduction.
I got it at the Boekenfestijn.

“Antony and Cleopatra is one of Shakespeare's greatest tragedies: a spectacular, widely-ranging drama of love and war, passion and politics. Antony is divided between the responsibilities of imperial power and the intensities of his sexual relationship with Cleopatra. She, variously generous and ruthless, loving and jealous, petulant and majestic, emerges as Shakespeare's most complex depiction of a woman”

The book is a different take on how love changes people, how it affects them.  It’s also about politics and how that changes people. To me, those are the most important and most obvious elements.
But I’m no literary scholar, I just read it for my own enjoyment and I can’t say I enjoyed it that much.
The differences in style were really aggravating me. I’m not sure whether those were part of the original play or just my edition but they really dragged me out of it.

3 STARS

Happy reading!
Helena

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten